This International Day of Light is celebrated every year on 16th May 2022. This day has been a call to strengthen scientific cooperation and connect its potential in promoting sustainable development and peace. Moreover, such International Day of Light celebrates the roles light plays in education, art, science, culture, sustainable development, and growth and fields as varied as communications, medicine, and energy. In addition, light plays a central role in the lives of human beings, and on a basic level via photosynthesis, light has been in the origin of life itself, and light is life.
The history of the International Day of Light
- The anniversary of the first successful operation of the laser in 1960 was performed by engineer and physicist Theodore Maiman, and he successfully fired the first laser on 16th May.
- This International Light Day was adopted on 19th September 2016 in the Board’s two hundredth session in the UNESCO HQ in Paris in France.
- On 16th May, a worldwide proposal led by United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) honored the date as the International Day of Light. Human beings have put faith in light in studying the world throughout history.
- The Board decision was approved by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) General Conference in its thirty-ninth session on 7th November, 2017.
- The first International Day of Light was held on 16th May 2018.
The subject of the International Day of Light
- This year’s celebration would highlight the ‘International Year of Basic Sciences for Sustainable Development 2022’ and other events of the United Nations brought into line with the goals of the International Day of Light (IDL).
- The wider theme of light would enable several community sectors globally to engage in activities that describe how art, technology, science, and tradition could assist in obtaining the objectives of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), i.e., equality, education along with peace.
- Such International Day of Light is a global initiative that offers an annual focal point regarding the continued approval of light.
- One of the key aims of the International Day of Light has been to represent and describe the intimate connection between the cultures, art, and light, increasing the function of optical technology in preserving traditional heritage.
The significance of the International Day of Light
- The celebration of the International Day of Light could enable several community sectors globally to take part in the activities that explain how art, technology, science, and tradition help obtain the aims of UNESCO in building the foundation in regards to peaceful communities.
- Without light, life on Earth could not have existed, and in learning light via astrophysics, human beings examine some of the most profound world mysteries.
- The light symbolizes talent, and light-related technologies have been effective in healthcare. The device, along with the optical device and ultra-violet sources of light, have been utilized concerning sterilization.
The essentialities of the International Day of Light
- Throughout cultures, the light has been a universal symbol of renewal, inclusion, and life and has been related to spiritual awakening.
- This light has been seen in opposition to darkness, and the learning of light has resulted in promising substitute sources of energy.
- The International Day of Light assists the critical role of scientific methods in developing and improving the quality of life of human beings.
- Such International Day of Light has been regarding science and lasers and covers the fields of entertainment, tradition, and art at every place that light has been present.
The targets of the International Day of Light
- Light has been a primary enabling device for modernization and technology generation in medical devices, high-sensitivity sensors, energy-effective lighting, higher speed online internet, saving online data, renewable energy, preservation of cultural heritage, etc.
- The International Day of Light inspires the general human beings and the scientists to sign and assist a declaration confirming their trust in science and the significance of public confidence in the scientific method.