World Food Day is observed across 150 countries on October 16 every year. On this day the United Nations aims to raise awareness of food supply and distribution worldwide. The United Nations acknowledges food as the fundamental right of every human to help end world hunger.
People in first world countries tend to overindulge in eating food rather than eating the food with the taste or its emotions. World Food Day prepares people to eat better with seasonal vegetables while keeping a balanced diet.
In 1979, World Food Day started to observe the founding of the Food and Agriculture Organization in 1945.
World Food Day was first commemorated on October 16, 1981, with over 150 countries participating in fighting against food poverty and hunger ever since the day was celebrated.
Themes of World Food Day
- On World Food Day every year, there are different themes. The theme focuses on that specific year’s issue and helps people take action.
- It focuses on the farming and agricultural supply to raise awareness of the need for funding and policy change.
- The first World Food Day theme in 1981 was Food Comes First.
- In 2020 the theme was Grow, Nourish and Sustain Together – it was focused on COVID-19 to recover quickly in food production and supply to withstand an unstable situation.
- In 2021 the theme was Safe Food Now For a Healthy Tomorrow – It focused on raising awareness of foodborne diseases causing illness, such as e-Coli and salmonella. And how it affects the people who are in poverty and eating unhealthy food.
- In 2022 the theme is Leave No One Behind – It ensures that while we live in developing countries, everyone still has access to food and nutrition apart from inequality. Niagara Falls will be illuminated blue on the night of World Food Day at 10 pm.
Importance of World Food Day
- The FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization) helps the lives of people in third-world countries and rural populations and countries suffering from famine by contributing to their economic growth.
- They highlight the importance of agricultural productivity.
- They help countries to implement new technology by changing their agricultural policies.
- The role of FOA is essential because, till now, approximately 11% of the global population still goes hungry without eating and sleeps on empty stomachs.
- Due to war, COVID-19, homelessness, and poverty – there is an increase in the number of people without food between 2019 to 2022.
Celebration Of World Food Day
- There are many events arranged around the world on World Food Day. The main event happens at the Food and Agriculture Organization headquarters in Rome, Italy, where various International organizations meet to discuss food supplies worldwide.
- To make the day special, we can take an oath not to waste food and donate food to the hungry and needy people in our communities.
- Changing our diet plan by eating healthy foods and seasonal vegetables and researching ways to help the world eliminate hunger.
- In many countries, many organizations organize workshops and exhibitions focusing on food supplies, distribution, and the issue of hunger in the world.