The yearly World No-Tobacco Day is observed on 31st May worldwide, and it has been an opportunity to increase awareness of the toxic along with harmful effects of tobacco usage. Moreover, the World No-Tobacco Day informs the general human beings regarding the dangers of using Tobacco and the tobacco firms’ business practices. In addition, the World No-Tobacco Day campaign has been focused on enhancing consciousness among the people about the environmental impact of Tobacco from production, cultivation, and waste distribution. Such a campaign would intend to expose the strength of the tobacco firm for green-washing its status along with commodities by marketing themselves as friendly environmentally.
The history of World No-Tobacco Day
- This World No-Tobacco Day was created by the member states of the World Health Organization (WHO) in 1987 to draw worldwide attention to the tobacco epidemic and the disease and preventable death it causes.
- In 1987, the World Health Organization passed a resolution that announced 7th April 1988 as World No Smoking Day. This act had been passed to inspire human beings to prevent using Tobacco for at-least twenty-four hours.
- In 1987, the World Health Assembly of the World Health Organization (WHO) had chosen WHO’s fortieth anniversary, 7th April 1988, as World No-Tobacco Day.
- In 1988, World Health Organization (WHO) passed one more resolution that the World No-Tobacco Day would be observed on 31st May.
The theme of World No-Tobacco Day
- The subject matter or theme of World No-Tobacco Day 2022 has been ‘Protect the environment.
- The harmful effect of the tobacco sector upon the environment has been huge, along with growing unnecessary pressure on the limited resources and delicate ecosystems of the Earth.
- Quitting tobacco benefits the health of human beings along with the environment, and World No-Tobacco Day has been observed to emphasize the harmful effects of cigarettes and other tobacco items upon the entire health of a human being.
- The smoking of cigarettes harms every organ of the human body, and it has been related to lung diseases, many cancers, heart disease, and other sicknesses.
The impacts of World No-Tobacco Day
- Some of the usefulness of quitting Tobacco is that human beings would have fresher breath, good smelling clothes, hair, and white teeth.
- Staying in a smoke-free environment fosters healthier lungs and hearts, and smoke-free housing minimizes the risks of fire-oriented deaths and injuries.
- In preventing Tobacco, the sense of smell of the human beings would return to normal, and the food would taste much better.
- Regarding the individuals who look for assistance, the different process has been shown to help stop smoking, including counseling, individual advice, smoking ending classes, antidepressants, nicotine replacement therapy, and stay quit assistance groups.
The desires of World No-Tobacco Day
- Proper tobacco control takes place when a determined effort has been made to financially maintain and set up inclusive tobacco control proposals by enhancing abolishing smoking in public places, enhancing tobacco excise taxes, preventing tobacco usage among the younger generations, and banning tobacco activities like menthol flavoring, etc.
- Smoking causes heart diseases, cancer, diabetes, lung diseases, stroke, and chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases (COPD) that include chronic bronchitis and emphysema.
- Tobacco usage has been the primary cause of preventable death and other diseases and has been expected to kill five million human beings every year globally.
The features of World No-Tobacco Day
- Tobacco usage has been the primary reason for preventable death, disability, and disease in the United States of America.
- All through its lifecycle, Tobacco pollutes the planet along with damages the health of every human being, and each year, the theme of World No-Tobacco Day highlights a particular issue associated with Tobacco and its firm.
- It has been much more crucial to protect the younger youth from firm strategy and prevent them from nicotine and tobacco usage.
- Such World No-Tobacco Day presents a scope to raise awareness of smoking dangers and look for efficient policies and strategies for stopping the habit.